Rocky Flats


The Rocky Flats plant is located approximately 16 miles Northwest of downtown Denver. For about 40 years, nuclear weapons parts were manufactured at Rocky Flats which occupied 11 square miles. Rocky Flats used radioactive materials along with more than 8,000 chemicals in the production of the nuclear weapons parts. From 1952 to 1989, the workers at Rocky Flats built weapons triggers called, “pits” from plutonium buttons. These pits were shipped to Texas to be used in nuclear weapons. Plutonium is a man-made radioactive metal that can cause cancer.

The plutonium pit production halted in 1989 after EPA and FBI agents raided the facility. The plant was then formally shut down in 1992. Operators of the plant later pleaded guilty to criminal violations of environmental law. The fine, at that time, was one of the largest penalties ever in environmental law cases.
Since then, workers of Rocky Flats have developed Cancer and lung diseases from their work at the site and the cleanup effort.